Our guide to the process

Our selection process is broken down into three major stages that span over a period of six to twelve weeks. At each stage, we will work with you to make sure that value is derived by all involved. These stages typically involve some of the following activities - clarifying vision and values, developing strategy, devising product market fit strategies, building business plans and financial models.We recognize that different founders are at different stages of their startup lifecycle, we commit to adjust to your requirements and pace. We’re ready when you’re ready.

Stage 1 : Discover

In this stage, we aim to identify (with a high level of probability) that there will be  a mutual fit between our goals , your idea and approach. In order to do that, we request you to articulate the idea by filling up this form. We also request that you read our partnership approach and terms. It serves to  share our thought process and working terms with you. 

Timelines? Once we get your application form, and we at build3 feel that your goals align with ours we’ll schedule a meeting with you. We’ll typically get back to you within 2 working days from the date we receive your application. 

Stage 2 : Establish Fit

During this stage of the process, we are looking to dive deeper into topics that are deemed to be current opportunities or challenges by you, through these discussions we will populate our above mentioned 4C framework. We will probably meet with you 2-3 times (in-person/ online) to understand your journey, business plan, challenges and deep dive where relevant, showcasing what value we can provide through your startup journey. Due to our uncommon approach, we have found that founders want to discuss details of our partnership, we typically schedule a conversation to focus on our working relationship (financial and operational) at this stage. 

If a strong fit is felt between the frontline build3 team members and the founder(s)we will request you to create a business plan & financial model, followed by a meeting with the rest of our team and share on the terms (of course post due diligence) and create a validation budget with an action plan to start building your idea.

Timelines? In our experience, this stage usually closes in 4-6 weeks. But it all depends on how fast you can drive this.

Stage 3 :Build 

This stage is where we truly start working together as a team, it typically lasts for 12 months. During this stage we provide the first 10% of our commitment immediately and the remaining 90% after ~2 months. At that point we do a reality check to ensure our partnership is progressing well both from an achievement (execution of mutually agreed goals, and market acceptance of our product/service) and compatibility perspective. During this stage process we will provide the first 10% of our commitment immediately and the remaining 90% after 2 months, once we have proven we can work together AND achieve goals mutually agreed upon (execution and business model validation oriented)up to 10% of your capital requirements. The idea is to check 1) if we can work together and 2) if the market wants what we are selling. Post validation, we get into some serious building!

Timelines? Validation is a 6-8 week process post which building is our lifetime partnership ❤


1-2 Days

What you do

Articulate your idea, fill the form, read the agreement and if our goals align, we schedule a meeting.

What We do

We want to understand your vision and find a mutual fit between your idea of impact and our goals.

Establish Fit

2-3 Weeks

What You do

Let's meet (in-person/ online) a few times to understand your journey, business plan, challenges, deep dive into build3, create project work and tangible goals.

What We do

We want to understand you and the startup on factors of capability, compatibility with us, commitment and commercial viability.


1 Month

What you do

Shake on the terms and create a validation budget with an action plan to start building your idea. Post validation, we get into some serious building!

What We do

We want to understand mutual fit related to values and team compatibility, as we work together on one or two key projects.

Scale up

1 Year to infinity & beyond!

What We do Together

Build together hand in glove for the next 1-1.5 years to launch a sustainable and strong startup! We will nurture and become the true co-founding team - in it for life!

Start Building!

We want to build with you and let’s make sure we understand each other deeply !

We’re excited to build with you!

It’s equally important to us, that we both are in sync and on the same page with our goals and motivations. We’ve put together a list of questions we get asked very often (yes, even just before folks sign up). These may help answer some of the questions that you may have.

P.s: Also, make sure you read our agreement :)

1. What is a Startup Studio?

A startup studio is a hybrid between different models of incubators, accelerators and VCs (venture capitalist). It is a collection of experienced founders and founding team members (of past startups big and small) who come together in order to raise startups from scratch and be deeply involved on an everyday basis, along with signing the cheque.

They can also be called many different things; Startup factory, Startup foundry, Company Builder, Venture Studio, Venture Builders etc. Many names but one aim - to work with early stage idea startups and help them reach escape velocity. 

Read more about startup studio’s and the various models here.

2. How is a Startup Studio different from an incubator or an accelerator?

Simply put, the main difference is that Incubators and Accelerators don’t co-found ventures, Startup Studios do.

It may seem as though incubators, accelerators and startup studios - all do the same thing, but they don’t. Accelerators help founding teams move their venture from the “initial traction stage” to the “series-A stage”. Accelerators typically only accept startups into their program if they have market traction and some form of the product built. Incubators on the other hand function much like accelerators but they’re more open to working with early-stage ventures without traction. Unlike accelerators, incubators don’t have cohorts and they don’t have a structured educational programming process for entrepreneurs to follow. Incubators work with founders to build their venture from “MVP stage” to “first round of funding stage”.

A startup studio will work side-by-side with the founders to bring the product to the market. Unlike Incubators and accelerators, they put their internal team to work along with the founders to build the organisations from scratch. Once the product has achieved market traction (typically after 6 months) the Studio members will begin to replace themselves on the team with outside hires. The original founding team remains with the startup through its scale-up and spin-out process.

If you’re nerdy about these things click here to read more.

3. Why should a founder join a startup studio?

If you’re an idea stage founder, or have received some traction on your product/service and are looking for a cofounding team which can help you reach escape velocity, then startup studios are the right choice for you. 

They not only provide you with a founding team to help support in marketing, finance, HR, payroll etc, but also help you with much-needed mentoring, resources, strategic guidance, and help with fundraising. 

If you don’t need professional help, but need resources such as office space and product testing, an incubator may be the solution. If you don’t need deep expertise on how to build and just want timely guidance then accelerators should be your pick.

Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.
Ready to Apply